The Church Its Surroundings and Building
St Nicholas is the ancient parish church of Stevenage and has served the community for centuries.
The current parish of St Nicholas extends around the northern edge of the Borough of Stevenage. It encompasses parts of both the old and new towns and some of the recent housing development of Great Ashby.
The Saxon church on this site was replaced by a Norman one in about 1100 AD, but the only remaining part of this is the great, thick-walled flint tower which houses a ring of eight bells. The church structure has been partially rebuilt so many times that it is a patchwork of nine centuries of local endeavour.
It is a Grade 1 listed building and includes many items of interest in the church including an ancient stone font with a medieval carved wooden cover, six 14th century misericords, a carved reredos dating from 1890, a Victorian organ and a number of stained glass windows. After it’s recent refurbishment, the church now comfortably seats about 250 people, with 2 meetings rooms, a well-equipped kitchen, accessible toilet and two further toilets and upstairs.
For much more information, we have an excellent guide book available to download. This will take you around the top 10 things to see in the church.
The churchyard is closed but linked to the Council-run Weston Road cemetery by a footpath. There are important and rare wild flower areas in the churchyard and bats inhabit the belfry.
The 2019/2020 refurbishment project involved a great of preparation before hand and some detailed investigations during the work. These reports, along with some older but valuable material, can be accessed by clicking on the links below: